Athlete Pubalgia

Jan 12th, 2014

Borja asked The Guru for the following Physiotherapy Advice:


I used to play football 3 times per week and 2 months ago I started to feel some pain in my lower abdominals. I had to stop doing any physical activity because the pain got stronger and I can feel it even when I cough, laugh…

After some research I think that what I have is an athlete’s pubalgia, so I would like to know if you treat that kind of injuries and how much would cost the season.

Thanks in advance

Jan 12th, 2014

The Guru Responded:

Hi Borja

….it all depends on what’s causing the issue (whatever it is) and why.

AP or Gilmores Groin usually occurs when there’s a structural problem with the inguinal canal – you’re symptoms fit BUT there are also lots of other things that fill the gap between AP and more common and simpler issues.

Improving stability around your “core” muscles, adductors, adbuctors and making sure your back is moving properly are at the top of the list. If it’s a true AP and you’ve failed at good conservative treatment, you may need further intervention [physio in sport].

May be worth giving us a call tomorrow and speaking to one of the physios [sports injuries london clinics] – I’m sure they’ll be able to answer more directed questions.

The Guru

Want to find out more?

What they say about us.


Based on reviews 7203 customers.