Charity, Hot Topics
Oct 10th, 2018
Oct 10th, 2018 / Nicki Chick
Rest or physical activity?
by Megan Oster for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Many people continue to believe that rest is vital for energy conservation during and after treatment, however this has been shown to exacerbate the treatment related loss of function.
In fact, physical activity in research continues to show no exacerbation of fatigue during treatment and significant improvement in fatigue levels post treatment.
Breast Cancer in figures… it’s a heart-wrenching read, which is why at Six Physio we want to improve the quality of life for people who are living with or beyond cancer: enabling a return to function, whether this is daily activities or competitive sport.
– 1 in 2 people will have cancer at some point in their lifetime
– 55,122 new cases of Breast Cancer in 2015
– 78% survive breast cancer for 10 or more years but often live with debilitating side effects
– 23% breast cancer cases are preventable
– 78% cancer survivors experienced at least 1 distressing physical symptom after treatment. Examples include fatigue, breathlessness, joint pain and muscle wasting.
Did you know, physio can help with all of these!